1. Bleacher cushions: These are a MUST if you are going to be sitting for any length of time and are so lightweight there’s no reason to go without them.
2. Bug repellent: If I don’t pack bug spray, my kids are covered in bites before halftime!
3. Sweat-proof sunscreen: Make sure it’s sweatproof so it doesn’t get washed away during the first few minutes of the game.
4. Elastic hair bands: The ponytail holder keeping my daughter’s hair out of her face, inevitably breaks as the game is getting started. So, I keep several extras, plus the extra hair bands come in handy for the days you decide to wear your hair down only to find yourself out on the windiest day of the year.
5. Bandages: Major injuries during school sports are usually handled by the team medical personnel, but the minor injuries like a scratch or hangnail that gets ripped loose are fixed with my supply.
6. Collapsible scissors: These are so small and thus, easy to make room for, so I always have a pair with me. These get used for everything from snipping a stray thread from a uniform, to opening snacks whose “tear here” notch is missing.
7. Antibiotic cream: Goodness knows what germs are lurking around when you have teams of sweaty children running around on a field that several people have walked their dogs on. If someone gets a cut, it’s so easy to apply to give you some peace of mind.
8. Notepad and colored pens: It took me awhile to figure out that I needed these and now I can’t imagine what I did without them! I keep my other kids, who I drag along as spectators, occupied (Tic-tac-toe, pictures, etc.).
9. Assorted healthy snacks: Typically I include some fresh fruit along with organic fruit snacks or fruit pouches, trail mix, and protein/granola bars.
10. Hand sanitizer wipes: On-the-go snacks are almost always eaten with your hands so before my kids start stuffing their faces, we do a quick “wash” with a wet wipe. These are also great for cleaning sticky hands after the halftime snack.
Extra tip: Support your child with a personalized tee shirt that has their name and number, you can find it here.
So there you have it. Hope these 10 tips come in handy at your next game!